Top 10 Mistakes Slip and Fall Injury Victims Make
Feb 22, 2023
Although both slip and falls and car accidents are categorized within the personal injury law umbrella, you may be under the impression that you’re much more likely to experience the latter. However, slip and fall accidents are actually much more common than people realize, and the injuries sustained by victims can range in severity and at times be traumatic or even catastrophic.
The National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI) compiled some alarming statistics confirmed through data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), and the National Safety Council (NSC).
Top 10 Mistakes Slip and Fall Injury Victims Make
Some of those 2023 slip and fall injury statistics include:
- Floors and flooring materials contribute directly to more than 2 million fall injuries each year, according to the CPSC.
- Falls account for over 8 million hospital emergency room visits annually (representing the leading cause of visits at 21.3%).
- Slip and falls account for over 1 million hospital visits, or 12% of total falls.
- Bone fractures tend to be one of the most serious injuries sustained by slip and fall victims, occurring in 5% of patients.
- Slip and falls are the leading cause of workers’ compensation claims and are the leading cause of occupational injury for people aged 55 years and older.
- In 2005, more than 15,000 people over the age of 65 died as a result of a fall, the CDC confirmed.
- That figure has almost doubled from the 7,700 slip and falls recorded just a decade earlier.
- Approximately 1.8 million people over the age of 65 were treated in an emergency room in 2005 as a result of a fall, according to the CDC.
- Total costs for injuries due to falls are estimated at $13-14 million per year in the U.S.
- Falls are the number one cause of accidental injury, resulting in 20.8% of all emergency room visits in 1995 (as a comparison, motor vehicle accidents accounted for 11.9% of ER visits).
When you suffer an injury in a slip and fall accident and negligence is involved, a civil claim/lawsuit can be a means of securing much-needed financial compensation to ensure you make a complete recovery and aren’t faced with any exorbitant medical bills or lost wages.
However, many slip and fall accident victims either encounter problems when attempting to file their claims or are forced to accept lowball settlements due to not taking some important and recommended steps immediately after the incident occurred.
In the sections below, we will review some common injuries endured through slip and falls, look at when and where they typically occur, and provide the Top 10 Mistakes You Should Avoid At All Costs After a Slip and Fall Accident.
Most Common Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
We’ve reviewed the topic of Top 10 Slip and Fall Injuries in previous posts, but let’s take a look at some of the most common ways people are injured in either slip or trip and falls.
- Head injuries/TBI (traumatic brain injuries): Slip and falls can commonly result in the victim suffering a head injury by falling backwards. These injuries can be serious and require immediate medical attention. Moreover, the symptoms of a TBI after a slip and fall aren’t always immediately apparent, which is why injured victims are strongly encouraged to undergo a full physical examination regardless of how one “feels.”
- Broken and fractured bones: Slip and falls can cause victims to suffer bone breaks, fractures, sprains, and more. Depending on where your slip and fall occurred, the impact to your bones can be more severe (i.e. falling down a flight of stairs at a casino versus slipping on some spilled liquid at the grocery store).
- Soft tissue damage: Tearing a muscle or ligament is a common result after enduring a slip and fall. These injuries can lead to a great deal of pain and suffering.
- Concussion (MTBI – mild traumatic brain injury): Concussions are serious injuries requiring an immediate evaluation by a licensed physician. Although concussions are commonly considered less severe than TBIs, they can still lead to long-term trauma which requires extensive medical care.
- Spinal cord injuries: This type of injury can lead to paralysis or extreme loss of movement. Accordingly, spinal cord injuries are commonly classified as catastrophic injuries which often occur during slip and fall accidents.
- Back injuries: While technically not as severely categorized as spinal cord injuries, back pain and trauma commonly occur after slip and fall accidents.
If your slip and fall injury happened through no fault of your own, you may be entitled to a cash settlement for various damages (losses/expenses/etc.). Contact us today at 866-GO-SEE-SAM to file your claim.
Where Do Slip and Falls Occur?
Slip or trip and falls can happen on public or private property. Some of the most common locations where slip and fall injuries are sustained and lead to civil lawsuits include:
- Supermarkets/grocery stores
- Parking lots
- Airbnb and Vrbo rentals
- Theme and amusement parks
- Public parks
- Shopping malls
- Bicycle/hiking trails
- Private residences
Slip and falls can be caused by negligence or carelessness – often when a property owner or manager fails to either maintain or improve a location. Additionally, slip and falls are frequently the result of simple human error (at times when an individual is under the influence of drugs or alcohol).
Other common scenarios leading to slip and fall injuries include:
- Wet or uneven surfaces
- Inclement weather (rain, sleet, snow, etc.)
- Poor lighting
- Loose rugs, mats, other flooring
- Uneven flooring or steps
- Cords and electrical wires
- Poorly-fitting footwear
- Improperly maintained buildings
Top 10 Mistakes Slip and Fall Accident Victims Make
At Dordulian Law Group (DLG), we help slip and fall accident victims secure the maximum financial compensation they deserve. With our extensive slip and fall and premises liability case experience, we’ve seen the types of mistakes injured victims commonly make which can jeopardize their right to a maximum cash settlement or damages award. Accordingly, we’ve put together a list of the Top 10 Mistakes You Should Never Make After a Slip and Fall Injury.
Top 10 Mistakes You Should Never Make After a Slip and Fall Injury
- Not seeking medical treatment: Unfortunately, this is a mistake we see all-too-often. Victims may either delay getting medical treatment or simply never follow-up and receive the care they absolutely need. But, as mentioned earlier, slip and fall injuries often manifest symptoms days, weeks, or even months after an incident occurs. But if you don’t seek immediate medical treatment, you may face a number of hurdles when filing a claim for financial compensation. If you undergo a medical exam only after you start experiencing symptoms – and that time happens to be weeks or months after the incident – the at-fault party or insurance provider will almost certainly argue that your injuries were not as severe at the time of the slip and fall (and therefore they aren’t responsible for covering the extensive costs).
- Not filing a police report: If you slip and fall in either a public or private place and suspect negligence was involved, filing a police report is always recommended. A police report is important documentation that can help support your eventual claim with DLG’s slip and fall attorneys.
- Failing to gather witness statements and contact info: If someone witnessed your slip and fall and can corroborate your version of events, it’s strongly recommended that you gather that individual’s contact info and personal statement as soon as possible after the incident occurs.
- Not taking pictures and videos of injuries: Bruises and cuts can heal surprisingly quickly, which is why taking your own personal photos and videos to document your injuries is strongly recommended.
- Not taking photos and videos of the accident scene: Slipping and falling in a grocery store or casino may mean that closed-circuit video footage of your accident is available. However, it’s important that you document the accident scene through your own photos and videos whenever possible. This can be critical evidence that helps support your claim and ensures you recover the maximum compensation you deserve.
- Posting about your slip and fall injury on social media: Nothing good can ever come from posting about a slip and fall accident on social media. Even if you’re posting photos of yourself in a hospital bed with extensive injuries – under the impression that doing so will show the world why you deserve to be financially compensated – the posts will likely be taken out of context by the at-fault party and potentially used against you. Never, ever, under any circumstances should you post on social media after suffering a slip or trip and fall injury.
- Not reporting the incident to the property or management company: Casinos, hotels, grocery stores, and apartment complexes (among many other venues) should always be informed immediately after a slip and fall has occurred. Do not wait to report the incident to the proper officials.
- Making a statement to an insurance adjuster or claims representative without an attorney present: Making any type of official statement regarding liability or how a slip and fall occurred is not advisable. A slip and fall personal injury lawyer will be able to help protect your rights when the time is right to make a statement to an insurance or claims adjuster.
- Accepting a quick and lowball cash settlement: This, unfortunately, is often a result of not having an experienced and proven DLG Los Angeles slip and fall attorney fighting for justice on your behalf. Never accept any type of settlement or cash offer without having your DLG personal injury lawyer present.
- Failing to contact an experienced and proven slip and fall attorney: Finally, once you’ve undergone a medical examination, had your health attended to, and gathered all appropriate information/evidence to support your claim, it’s important to call DLG at 866-GO-SEE-SAM for a free and confidential consultation. We’ll review the facts of your slip and fall case, provide information related to all of your legal rights and options, and include an estimate for how much your claim may be worth (and how long it might take to receive your maximized cash settlement check).
Contact California’s Best Slip and Fall Injury Attorneys Today
DLG was founded by former Deputy District Attorney for Los Angeles County, Sam Dordulian. As California’s leading personal injury attorneys with experience, dedication, and proven results that simply can’t be matched by most other firms, DLG offers you peace of mind and confidence while navigating the civil justice system.
Sam Dordulian and his team of slip and fall injury lawyers have helped countless victims recover maximum financial compensation for incidents occurring at hotels, casinos, supermarkets/grocery stores, etc.
At DLG, our experience and proven results speak volumes:
- More than $100,000,000.00 recovered in settlements and verdicts for injured victims like you
- A consistent 98% winning record
- More than 100 jury trial victories
- More than 25 years of personal injury experience
Ready to file a claim and pursue justice through a financial damages award? Our expert attorneys are available online or by phone now.
We provide each and every client with the professionalism, personalized attention, and compassion they deserve. To file your slip and fall claim for damages, contact an experienced and trusted Glendale, California, personal injury attorney from DLG at 866-GO-SEE-SAM for a free and no obligation consultation.
To discuss your legal options, schedule an appointment with our personal injury lawyers today. Call our top sleep and fall attorneys today.