Top 10 Reasons Why So Many Car Accidents Happen in Los Angeles
Mar 3, 2023
Los Angeles is a sprawling metropolis. As probably the most densely populated county in the USA, it includes a complete space of 4,083 sq. miles, with greater than 1 / 4 of Californians calling it residence. Accordingly, the (and practically 10 million residents spanning all through L.A. County) are recognized for counting on their automobiles to get from Level A to Level B .
High 10 Causes Why So Many Automobile Accidents Occur in Los Angeles
And as a spot the place, in line with the New York Occasions, “Automobile is King,” the mixture of tens of millions of residents who rely closely on their motor autos traversing an enormous panorama which spans 1000’s of miles is an ideal recipe for a big variety of automotive accidents occurring yearly.
Within the sections under, we are going to take a look at how (and why) automotive accidents have elevated in Los Angeles in recent times. Moreover, we are going to assessment the High 10 Causes for therefore many motorcar collisions occurring within the Metropolis of Angeles, and supply info on easy methods to file a civil declare for damages with Dordulian Legislation Group within the occasion of an unlucky automotive crash resulting in an damage.
Why Are Los Angeles Automobile Accidents Rising?
Earlier this yr, Dordulian Legislation Group (DLG) printed a weblog analyzing the Los Angeles Police Division’s (LAPD) report which confirmed that 2022 Los Angeles site visitors fatalities hit all-time-highs. In recording 309 site visitors fatalities in 2022, it marked the primary time Los Angeles roadway deaths surpassed the 300 mark in over twenty years.
2021 was truly one of many deadliest years for Los Angeles-area drivers, however 2022 proved to be much more deadly. For 2022, native site visitors deaths hit unprecedented highs.
By way of the final spike in motorcar deaths all through Los Angeles, the next statistics have been confirmed by way of information collected by the LAPD:
- 289 individuals have been killed in L.A. site visitors collisions from January 1 by means of December 25, 2021.
- These deaths represented a 21% improve from the identical interval in 2020.
- These 2021 deaths represented a 19% improve when in comparison with 2019 figures.
- In 2021, 1,465 individuals have been significantly injured in motorcar accidents on Los Angeles roadways.
- 2022 proved to be one of many worst-ever years on report for Angelenos.
- The 2022 spike in Los Angeles site visitors fatalities – with 309 roadway deaths recorded – represents solely a 5% improve from 2021.
- However the 2022 spike truly represents a staggering 28% improve when in comparison with 2020 figures.
Moreover, a Los Angeles Journal (LAMag) report confirmed that pedestrians and cyclists noticed the biggest will increase in traffic-related deaths.
Contributing elements for the uptick in Los Angeles site visitors fatalities included rushing and distracted driving. Nonetheless, as we’ll talk about under, there are a litany of things which may contribute to L.A. automotive accident accidents and fatalities.
Why Do So Many Automobile Accidents Happen in Los Angeles?
A substantial variety of automotive accidents happen in Los Angeles and all through L.A. County each single yr. In reality, Los Angeles constantly ranks among the many High 10 American Cities With the Highest Charges of Automobile Accidents. In 2022, L.A. ranked #6 on the High 10 record, simply behind Glendale, California, at #5, and above Springfield, MA, at #7 (it needs to be famous that Glendale is situated inside Los Angeles County).
LAMag additional famous that the 2022 Los Angeles automotive accident statistics are a “horrific reminder that issues haven’t improved in Los Angles” since then-Mayor Eric Garcetti launched the Imaginative and prescient Zero initiative in 2015.
High 10 Causes Why Los Angeles Data So Many Automobile Accidents Each Yr
There are numerous eventualities which may result in automotive, truck, motorbike, and scooter accidents alongside the numerous heavily-trafficked roadways in Los Angeles County. However let’s check out the High 10 Components for Why Los Angeles Persistently Ranks Amongst American Cities With the Most Automobile Crashes.
High 10 Causes Why So Many Automobile Accidents Happen Each Yr in Los Angeles
- #1 – Rush hour site visitors congestion: Los Angeles is infamous for its heavy site visitors, significantly throughout rush hour. Lately, 4 Los Angeles-area freeways have been ranked as having the best site visitors congestion within the nation. L.A.’s I-5 freeway got here in at #1 amongst all U.S. roadways with the worst site visitors and congestion. In reality, the I-5 South has a peak delay of twenty-two minutes at 4 p.m., costing native drivers a mean of 89 hours yearly. That’s greater than a dozen further hours misplaced to site visitors gridlock than the second most congested roadway within the nation – New York’s I-27 West. If a driver is caught in site visitors for an prolonged time frame of time, the scenario can develop into overwhelmingly irritating. And a pissed off driver can also be a distracted driver, and these attributes can considerably growing the probability of accidents occurring.
- #2 – Distracted driving: With a lot site visitors and lengthy commute instances, many drivers in Los Angeles have interaction in distracted driving behaviors behind the wheel – usually merely as a way of passing the time. Whereas driving and texting or speaking on a telephone with out a hands-free system is illegitimate in California, drivers are extra inclined to interact in these behaviors when caught in wall-to-wall site visitors.
- #3 – Aggressive driving: Drivers in Los Angeles are recognized for his or her aggressive driving habits. In reality, the time period ‘highway rage‘ was truly coined by newscasters proper right here in Los Angeles. After a collection of freeway shootings within the late Eighties, anchors at KTLA used the phrase when reporting the incidents. However highway rage didn’t make headlines and develop into part of our on a regular basis lexicon till about 1994. Tailgating, rushing, and weaving out and in of site visitors are all examples of aggressive driving (and are unlawful underneath California regulation as a result of these actions can improve the potential for automotive accidents).
- #4 – Poor roadway circumstances: As talked about earlier, the roads in Los Angeles are sometimes congested. Because of this, California roadways and highways require fixed upkeep due the sheer quantity of journey. Sadly, many roads proper right here in Los Angeles County are poorly maintained. Accordingly, any improperly maintained roadway is susceptible to an elevated variety of potholes, improper signage, and even lengthy stretches of building areas when the problems are finally addressed. All of these eventualities, nonetheless, can result in a rise in automotive accidents.
- #5 – Driving whereas fatigued: Drowsy driving is frequent amongst even the perfect of us, however daydreaming behind the wheel has lately been making headlines and been discovered to be a significant contributor to automotive accidents – a lot of that are lethal. Secure driving requires a motorist’s full and undivided consideration – something much less can result in a rise in automotive accidents.
- #6 – Improper car upkeep: Consciously taking steps to make sure that your car receives frequently scheduled upkeep is a good way to maintain it acting at optimum stage, however it may well additionally assist keep away from an simply preventable automotive accident that results in critical and even catastrophic accidents.
- #7 – Failure to obey marked signage: Many California drivers complain concerning the placement of marked signage alongside roads and highways. When you’re from out of city, touring within the HOV lane (Excessive-Occupancy Car) could be disorientating sufficient. However merging out and in of California’s specific lanes/toll roads could be even tougher to navigate should you aren’t certain of your environment. Regardless, all the time driving on the advisable pace restrict and adhering to posted signage is strongly inspired.
- #8 – Driving underneath the affect of medicine/alcohol: Impaired driving is extraordinarily harmful and one of the vital frequent elements which trigger automotive accidents. Happily, society appears to have come to the consensus that driving underneath the affect of medicine or alcohol is 100% unsuitable (and subsequently insupportable). It ought to go with out saying, however should you’ve been consuming medication or alcohol, don’t get behind the wheel.
- #9 – Inclement climate circumstances: California is usually understood as an ideal climate oasis. However as we’ve seen in current months, the Golden State could be impacted by intense rain (and subsequent flooding), wildfires, and even snow. It’s necessary to all the time drive with additional warning each time the climate is extra intense than normal. Drive slowly, cautiously, and with vigilance to stop elevated automotive accidents in Los Angeles County.
- #10 – Excessive inhabitants density: There are such a lot of individuals dwelling in Los Angeles County, basic math dictates that there’ll all the time be a big variety of automotive accidents. Nonetheless, exercising warning and remembering that you just’re sharing the roadways with others earlier than getting behind the wheel is sweet recommendation.
While you mix all of those elements inside an Angeleno’s day by day commute, Los Angeles is a very arduous and harmful setting for driving. It’s simple to see why, with these 10 elements in play every day for commuters, they will contribute to the excessive variety of automotive accidents within the Metropolis of Angels.
Los Angeles Automobile Accident Statistics 2023
- In 2022, there have been 56,612 reported site visitors collisions within the metropolis of Los Angeles.
- There have been 236 fatalities and 19,210 individuals injured in site visitors collisions in Los Angeles in 2022.
- Alcohol-involved collisions accounted for 4% of all collisions in Los Angeles in 2022, however 25% of all deadly collisions.
- Rushing was a think about 17% of all collisions in Los Angeles in 2022.
- Motorcyclists and pedestrians accounted for a disproportionate variety of fatalities and accidents in site visitors collisions in Los Angeles.
- Essentially the most harmful instances to be on the highway in Los Angeles have been on weekend nights, with the next variety of alcohol-involved collisions occurring throughout these instances.
- The highest contributing elements to site visitors collisions in Los Angeles in 2022 have been: unsafe pace, improper turning, proper of manner violations, and driving inebriated or medication.
* Los Angeles Automobile Accident Statistics (Most Up to date Knowledge for 2023)
Free Los Angeles Automobile Accident Lawyer Session
When you’ve been injured in a Los Angeles automotive accident or motorcar collision due to somebody’s negligence or carelessness, you could be eligible to obtain a money settlement award by submitting your declare with Dordulian Legislation Group’s (DLG) California private damage attorneys.
By submitting a civil lawsuit, injured victims might be able to safe compensation for a lot of relevant damages, equivalent to:
- Hospital payments (previous and future)
- Medical bills (previous and future)
- Ache and struggling
- Emotional trauma
- Psychological injury
- Misplaced wages
- Diminished high quality of life
- Misplaced incomes capability
- Punitive damages
Contact DLG’s top-rated Los Angeles automotive accident attorneys at this time by calling 866-GO-SEE-SAM. Based by Sam Dordulian, a former Deputy District Lawyer for Los Angeles County, DLG’s automotive accident and private damage attorneys have helped purchasers such as you safe over $100,000,000.00 in settlements and verdicts.
Able to file a declare and pursue justice by means of a monetary damages award? Our professional attorneys can be found on-line or by telephone now.
To get the utmost monetary compensation you deserve on your automotive accident damage, GO SEE SAM!