Top 10 Safest Cars for 2023
Mar 17, 2023
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), is a non-profit organization based in the United States that conducts research and provides ratings on the safety of motor vehicles. Founded in 1959, the IIHS is funded by the insurance industry and works to reduce the number of motor vehicle crashes and injuries in the United States.
Which Car Models are Rated Safest for 2023? A Top 10 List
The IIHS conducts a series of tests on vehicles to evaluate their crashworthiness and crash avoidance features.
The tests conducted by the IIHS include:
- Moderate overlap front
- Small overlap front
- Roof strength
- Head restraint
- Headlight evaluations
- Evaluations of the effectiveness of crash avoidance technologies (such as automatic emergency braking and forward collision warning)
Based on the results of these tests, the IIHS provides ratings for vehicles, ranging from “Poor” to “Good” for crashworthiness and from “Basic” to “Superior” for crash avoidance features.
The IIHS ratings are widely recognized by consumers and car manufacturers as a standard of vehicle safety. The organization’s research and ratings are used by car manufacturers to improve the safety of their vehicles, and by consumers to make informed decisions when purchasing a vehicle.
What are the Top 10 Safest Cars for 2023 According to IIHS Crash Tests?
Here are the top 10 safest cars for model year 2023, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s most recent data:
- Mazda CX-5
- Mazda CX-30
- Subaru Ascent
- Subaru Legacy
- Honda Accord
- Lexus ES
- Nissan Maxima
- Subaru Outback
- Toyota Camry
These cars have all received the IIHS’s highest safety rating of “Top Safety Pick+.” However, it’s important to consider that safety ratings can vary depending on the trim level and optional safety features of a particular vehicle. Additionally, other organizations such as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) also conduct crash tests and provide safety ratings for vehicles, so it’s a good idea to research and compare ratings from multiple sources when selecting a car.
What are the Top 10 Most Reliable Cars for 2023?
Here are the top 10 most reliable cars based on the 2022 Consumer Reports Annual Auto Survey:
- Lexus NX
- Lexus GX
- Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Toyota Prius Prime
- Lexus ES
- Toyota Prius
- Mazda CX-5
- Toyota Corolla
- Toyota RAV4
- Subaru Forester
These cars were ranked based on factors such as predicted reliability, owner satisfaction, fuel economy, and safety features. It’s important to note that reliability can vary depending on a variety of factors, such as the vehicle’s age, mileage, and maintenance history.
Other organizations, such as J.D. Power and Associates and Consumer Reports, also conduct reliability studies and provide rankings for vehicles, so it’s a good idea to research and compare ratings from multiple sources when selecting a car. Additionally, it’s important to consider factors such as safety ratings, fuel efficiency, and overall value when choosing a reliable vehicle that meets your needs.
What are the Safest Cars for 2023 According to Type?
In general, some of the safest cars based on the latest safety ratings and features include (according to category type):
- Safest Large SUVs: Some of the safest large SUVs on the market include the Volvo XC90, Audi Q8, and BMW X5.
- Safest Midsize SUVs: The Subaru Ascent, Mazda CX-9, and Honda Passport are among the top-rated midsize SUVs for safety.
- Safest Small SUVs: The Mazda CX-3, Honda HR-V, and Subaru Crosstrek are some of the safest small SUVs.
- Safest Large Cars: The Lexus LS, Audi A8, and BMW 7-Series are some of the safest large cars available.
- Safest Midsize Cars: The Toyota Camry, Subaru Legacy, and Honda Accord are some of the top-rated midsize cars for safety.
- Safest Small Cars: The Mazda3, Toyota Corolla, and Honda Civic are among the safest small cars on the market.
- Safest Electric Cars: The Tesla Model 3, Audi e-tron, and Volvo XC40 Recharge are some of the safest electric cars.
Safety ratings and features can vary within a particular model, so it is always a good idea to research specific trim levels and options when shopping for a car.
What are the Top 5 Safest Electric Vehicles for 2023?
The following electric vehicles (EVs) have received high safety ratings from independent crash test organizations:
- Tesla Model 3 – The Tesla Model 3 has received a 5-star overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and a “Good” rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) in all crash tests.
- Audi e-tron – The Audi e-tron received a 5-star overall safety rating from NHTSA and a “Top Safety Pick+” rating from IIHS, which is the highest possible rating.
- Volvo XC40 Recharge – The Volvo XC40 Recharge has received a 5-star overall safety rating from NHTSA and a “Top Safety Pick+” rating from IIHS.
- Porsche Taycan – The Porsche Taycan received a 5-star overall safety rating from NHTSA and a “Good” rating from IIHS in all crash tests.
- Ford Mustang Mach-E – The Ford Mustang Mach-E received a 5-star overall safety rating from NHTSA and a “Top Safety Pick” rating from IIHS.
The above-listed EVs have received high overall safety ratings from respected crash test organizations.
Are Electric Cars Safer Than Traditional/Gasoline-Powered Cars?
Electric cars can be safer than traditional gasoline-powered cars in some ways, but safety ultimately depends on a variety of factors, such as the vehicle’s design, safety features, and crash test ratings.
Some ways that electric cars can be safer than traditional cars include:
- Lower center of gravity: Electric cars tend to have a lower center of gravity because the heavy batteries are located at the bottom of the car. This can improve handling and reduce the risk of rollover accidents.
- Quieter: Electric cars are generally quieter than traditional cars, which can make it easier for drivers to hear important sounds such as emergency vehicles or pedestrians.
- Advanced safety features: Many electric cars come with advanced safety features such as automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and blind-spot monitoring.
- Instant torque: Electric motors can produce instant torque, which can improve acceleration and make it easier to avoid accidents or navigate through traffic.
- Lower risk of fires: Electric cars have a lower risk of catching fire in a collision than traditional gasoline-powered cars because they do not have a fuel system that can ignite in a crash.
How Are 2023 Vehicle Crash Test Ratings Determined?
Car crash test ratings are scores given by independent organizations that evaluate the safety of vehicles in simulated crash scenarios. These ratings are based on the results of various crash tests, such as frontal, side-impact, and rollover tests.
There are several organizations that conduct crash tests and provide ratings for vehicles, including:
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): The NHTSA is a federal agency that conducts crash tests and provides safety ratings for vehicles based on a 5-star rating system. The NHTSA tests include frontal crash tests, side-impact tests, and rollover tests.
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS): The IIHS is a non-profit organization that conducts crash tests and provides safety ratings for vehicles. The IIHS tests include moderate overlap front crash tests, small overlap front crash tests, side-impact tests, roof strength tests, and head restraint tests.
- European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP): Euro NCAP is a European organization that conducts crash tests and provides safety ratings for vehicles. The Euro NCAP tests include frontal crash tests, side-impact tests, and pedestrian protection tests.
Some of the factors that are evaluated during crash tests include:
- The effectiveness of the vehicle’s safety features (airbags and seat belts)
- The structural integrity of the vehicle’s body
- The likelihood of injury to the driver and passengers in different types of collisions
It’s important to consider crash test ratings when selecting a vehicle, as they can help you choose a car that provides a high level of safety in the event of an accident.
Can I Sue for Financial Compensation After a Car Accident Injury?
Have you been injured in a California car accident through no fault of your own? Car accident civil lawsuits can be filed in an effort to help the injured victim recover compensation for damages that often lead to substantial losses. These damages can be both economic and non-economic depending on the nature of your car accident injury case.
Some of the car accident damages that the experienced personal injury attorneys at (DLG) may attempt to pursue on your behalf include:
- Hospital expenses
- Medical care costs (past and future)
- Lost wages
- Reduced future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma or psychological harm
- Diminished quality of life due to your injuries/accident
- Punitive damages
- Property damages
At DLG, our skilled California car accident lawyers will fight aggressively to recover all applicable damages for your claim – including those that are often hard to prove and quantify, such as pain and suffering or emotional turmoil.
We’ve helped countless car accident victims secure maximum financial compensation for their claims, obtaining more than $100,000,000.00 on behalf of clients in settlements and verdicts.
When you’re injured in a Los Angeles, California, car accident, don’t settle for just any attorney who may jeopardize your right to a maximum cash settlement. Choose the very best car accident attorneys in California – get the DLG Advantage.
Contact a Los Angeles, California, Car Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Dordulian Law Group (DLG) is a top-rated, results-oriented, and proven car accident and personal injury firm with more than 25 years of experience securing maximum financial compensation for our clients. We have helped injured drivers and passengers recover multi-million dollar cash settlements and verdicts while maintaining a near-perfect 98% success record.
Contact a DLG car accident lawyer for a free and no obligation consultation today by calling 866-GO-SEE-SAM.
Our experienced attorneys can help you pursue a financial award for your personal injury case. Contact us online or by phone for a free consultation today.
DLG was founded by former Deputy District Attorney for Los Angeles County, Sam Dordulian, who has extensive litigation experience including more than 100 jury trial victories.
At DLG, our car accident injury attorneys are dedicated to fighting aggressively on your behalf to secure the maximum financial compensation you deserve.