What to do after a rear-end car accident in Lexington, KY
A car accident can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, particularly if you have been involved in a rear-end collision. However, it is important to stay calm and take certain steps to protect your safety and rights. If you have been rear-ended in Lexington, KY, the following guide provides comprehensive steps of what to do.
Rear-end accident checklist – Lexington, KY
After a rear-end collision in Lexington, KY, the following steps should be taken:
- Check for injuries and call 911 if necessary
- Move the vehicles out of traffic if possible
- Exchange information with the other driver, including names, phone numbers, and insurance information
- Take photos of the damage to both vehicles
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident
- Seek medical attention if you have any injuries, even if they seem minor
- Follow up with your insurance company and any medical providers as needed
- Consult with an experienced car accident lawyer
Check for injuries and call 911 if necessary
The first thing you should do after a car accident is to check yourself and any passengers in your vehicle for injuries. If anyone is hurt, call 911 immediately and request an ambulance. It is also a good idea to check on the passengers of the other vehicle involved in the accident to see if they may require medical attention.
The non-emergency phone number for the police in Lexington, KY is 859-258-3600. This number should be used for non-emergency situations, such as to report a minor car accident. For emergency situations, such as a major rear-end accident, medical emergency, or fire, you should call 911.
Move the vehicles out of traffic if possible
If your vehicle is drivable and there are no injuries, move your car to the side of the road or a safe location as soon as possible. This will help keep traffic flow moving and prevent further accidents. If you cannot move your vehicle, turn on your hazard lights and place reflective triangles (if available) to warn other drivers.
Exchange information with the other driver
You should exchange information with the other driver after checking for injuries and moving your car to a safe location. Gather their name, address, phone number, and insurance information. If a police officer responds, you should give them the same information. Take note of the vehicle’s make and model, as well as the license plate numbers of the vehicles involved.
Take photos of the damage to both vehicles
Photographing the damage to both vehicles involved in the accident is critical. Take photos of the damage from different angles and distances, and be sure to capture any skid marks or debris on the road in the pictures. This documentation can be useful when filing an insurance claim, or if you need to go to court.
Contact your insurance company to report the accident
Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. You will need to provide them with the details of the accident, including the date, time, location, and the names and contact information of the other driver(s) involved. They will also ask you for the police accident report number, which you should obtain from the officer who responds on the scene, or online from the Lexington Police Department of Records.
Seek medical attention if you have any injuries, even if they seem minor
Even if you feel fine after the accident, it is important to seek medical attention if you have any injuries, no matter how minor they may seem. Some injuries, such as whiplash or a concussion, may not be immediately apparent and, if left untreated, can worsen over time. Seeking medical attention can also provide important documentation of your injuries if you need to file a personal injury lawsuit.
Follow up with your insurance company and any medical providers as needed
After you have reported the accident to your insurance company and sought medical attention, it is important to follow up as needed. Your insurance company will likely assign an adjuster to your case who will contact you to discuss the details of the accident and assess the damage to your vehicle. You should also follow up with any medical providers to ensure that you receive the care you need. Missing follow-up visits and ignoring the advice of medical professionals can be detrimental to your health.
In Kentucky, car accident liability is determined by comparative negligence. This means that each driver is assigned a percentage of fault for the accident based on their actions. If you are found to be partially at fault for the accident, your compensation may be reduced proportionally. It is important to determine fault for the accident so that you can file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
Consult with an experienced car accident lawyer
Consulting with a car accident attorney in Lexington, KY after a car wreck can be beneficial for several reasons. Here are a few reasons why you may want to consider consulting with an attorney:
- They can help you understand your legal rights: They can assist you in understanding your legal rights: An attorney can explain your legal rights and options and assist you in understanding the possible outcomes of your case. They can also advise you on dealing with insurance adjusters and ensure you don’t sign away any of your legal rights.
- They can help you negotiate with insurance companies: Insurance companies are known to try and settle claims for as little as possible, and an attorney can help you negotiate a fair settlement for your case. They can also help you gather evidence and present a strong case to the insurance company.
- They can represent you in court: If your case goes to trial, an attorney can represent you in court and advocate for your rights. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is presented in the best possible light.
- They can help you recover damages: If you have been injured in a rear end car wreck, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. An attorney can help you calculate the damages you have suffered, and fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Consulting with an attorney can help you protect your legal rights, navigate the claims process, and get the compensation you deserve after a car wreck.
If you have been injured in a rear end collision, it will be in your best interest to consult with an experienced attorney. A personal injury lawyer in Lexington can help you navigate the claims process and negotiate with insurance companies to ensure that you receive the compensation you are legally entitled to.
Call 800-800-4600 to speak to Hughes & Coleman Injury Lawyers about your case or contact us online.