When Do Most Car Accidents Occur?
Apr 4, 2023
Car accidents are one of the most common causes of unnatural deaths among all age groups. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) confirmed that there were approximately 6.5 million reported motor vehicle crashes in the United States in 2020. Those crashes caused 38,680 deaths and 4.8 million non-fatal injuries to Americans.
When Do Most Car Accidents Occur?
While car accidents represent a danger to even the most cautious of drivers, there are certain times within a given day when you are more likely to be involved in a motor vehicle crash.
In the sections below, we will look at when most car accidents occur, provide tips to help ensure you stay safe while traveling the roadways, and offer information on how to file a civil lawsuit for financial compensation after a motor vehicle collision injury with the dedicated attorneys at Dordulian Law Group.
When Do Most Car Accidents Happen?
Data offered by the NHTSA confirms the following statistics related to when car accidents occur:
- Most car accidents occur during peak traffic hours (presumably due to more vehicles being on the roads).
- In the United States, the majority of non-fatal car accidents happen between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. on weekdays.
- Not coincidentally, that 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. window coincides with rush hour traffic (when people are commuting/returning home from work).
- The most dangerous times in a day for car accidents are during the night and early morning hours.
- Data from the NHTSA confirms that the highest number of fatal car accidents occur between the hours of 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.
The NHTSA further offers some reasons behind the spike in nighttime driving car accidents:
- Reduced visibility
- Increased likelihood of driver fatigue
- Higher incidence of drunk driving
- Potential for more reckless or aggressive drivers on the road during the nighttime hours
As the NHTSA notes, the period between midnight and 3 a.m. is considered the most dangerous time for motor vehicle crashes – especially on weekends. This is when there is a higher incidence of drunk driving, which increases the risk of accidents, according to the NHTSA.
Are Car Accidents A Leading Cause of Unnatural Deaths in the U.S.?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), car accidents are one of the most common causes of unnatural deaths. In fact, the CDC notes that motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among people ages 1-54 in the United States.
The most common causes of car accidents include:
Driver error (such as failing to yield the right of way or running a red light) is also a significant contributing factor to car accidents, according to the CDC.
How Can Americans Reduce the Number of Car Accidents Leading to Injuries and Deaths?
The CDC notes that it’s important for drivers to take steps to minimize the risks on roadways:
- Driving defensively
- Avoiding distractions while driving
- Following traffic laws and speed limits
- Wearing a seatbelt
Furthermore, identifying root causes of car accidents – impaired driving, poor road infrastructure, etc. – are emphasized by the CDC as ways that can help prevent future accidents and save lives.
While the number of car accidents in the U.S. varies from year-to-year, various factors can contribute to overall numbers:
- Traffic volume
- Driver behavior
- Weather conditions
- Road infrastructure
“However, motor vehicle crashes remain a significant public health concern and a leading cause of death and injury in the United States,” the CDC said.
Tips for Safe Driving
Below are some tips Dordulian Law Group (DLG) has identified in an effort to help keep you safe on the roadways:
- Reduce Speed: Speeding is not advisable under any roadway conditions.
- Tailgate/follow too closely: Doing so under any circumstances can cause rear-end car crashes.
- Text or talk on a cell phone: Such acts reduce a driver’s response time considerably and can take one’s eyes off the road for several seconds.
- Drive distracted in any way: Not paying attention – whether texting, talking to a passenger, or even daydreaming – can be especially dangerous while driving at high rates of speed.
- Drive without headlights on: Headlights are critical at nighttime and during inclement weather to ensure proper visibility.
- Drive while under the influence: Driving at any time under the influence is extremely dangerous, and that danger is increased considerably during nighttime and inclement weather conditions.
- Drive while drowsy: Drivers operating vehicles under any weather conditions need to be vigilant and always drive defensively – neither of which is possible when drowsy.
How to File a Car Accident Injury Claim for Damages
DLG’s team of Car Accident Division attorneys are standing by to help you from start to finish after an unfortunate motor vehicle collision. It’s our goal to assist people in California who have been injured due to another person’s negligence, and we’ve dedicated our practice to pursuing justice on behalf of each and every client.
When you’ve been involved in a car accident, don’t panic, and take care of your medical needs and those of your passengers first. Your next step, however, should be calling DLG for a free and confidential car accident lawyer consultation. When you’re ready to take the first step toward obtaining justice for your car accident injury claim, choose the legal expertise offered by the very best auto accident attorneys in the Los Angeles-area. We offer unparalleled legal advice and seasoned representation in the courtroom.
Contact the Best California Car Accident Lawyers for a Free Consultation
With DLG, your car accident injury consultation is always free and without any obligation. Our team of dedicated personal injury lawyers will review the facts of your case and provide you with all available legal options to ensure that your rights are protected. Once we accept your case, we will aggressively pursue a maximum financial damages award on your behalf. We serve drivers and passengers injured in car accidents throughout California as well as the United States.
Contact DLG today by calling 866-GO-SEE-SAM. Founded by former Deputy District Attorney for Los Angeles County, Sam Dordulian, DLG offers you an entire team of car accident lawyers with unparalleled experience, skills, and proven results. For over 25 years, Sam Dordulian has been helping injured victims secure justice through maximized cash settlements and verdicts – with over $100,000,000.00 obtained for clients like you while maintaining a 98% success record.
Ready to file a claim and pursue justice through a financial damages award? Our expert attorneys are available online or by phone now.
We’re standing by 24/7 to help you in the event of an unfortunate car accident injury. Contact us today at 866-GO-SEE-SAM.